Comfort Food: Grilled Macaroni & Cheese Sandwich
With the cold months approaching in New Jersey, now is the perfect time to enjoy a simple twist on classic comfort food with friends and family. I love anything related to macaroni and cheese and this is one of my new go-to comfort food recipes. This is the perfect recipe to re-use leftovers. I didn’t include it in this recipe, but this sandwich is even better with bacon!
In just a few minutes, you’ll enjoy a tasty, grilled macaroni and cheese sandwich. Take a look below how to make your own so you can start enjoying some soon. Enjoy!
Grilled Macaroni & Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices Sourdough bread
- 1.5 cups leftover Macaroni & Cheese
- 8 slices American or Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Butter
- In a small nonstick skillet place heat 3/4 cup of mac & cheese over medium heat.
- Once warm (about 3-4 minutes), shape mac & cheese into a pile about the size of the bread and top with 2 slices of cheese.
- Turn off heat.
- Butter 2 slices of bread.
- Place bread butter side down in another skillet over medium heat.
- Top one of the bread slices with 2 slices cheese.
- Use spatula to lift corner and check doneness.
- When lightly browned turn off heat. Use spatula to transfer mac & cheese rectangle onto cheese covered bread in the skillet.
- Cover with the other bread slice, toasted side up. Gently press together with spatula and transfer to a plate.
- Serve immediately.
That’s all there is to it! What are some of your favorite twists on comfort food classics?